FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the SM Advantage Personal Accident Insurance Program?
The SM Advantage Personal Accident Insurance Program is NOT a promotion. It is an embedded value-added feature of SM Advantage which is granted to members once they reach a specific points balance in their card. The insurance benefit has been an integral part of SM Advantage since July 2006. This is over n and above all the other benefits, perks, discounts and savings that SM Advantage management continuously develops for its members.
Recognizing the importance of insurance for every individual, SM Advantage, in partnership with Philam Insurance, created one of the most convenient and affordable programs in the market to ensure that its members can acquire basic financial protection against accidental death or permanent disability. With this modest motivation in mind, we continue to proudly extend this privilege to our members by providing them the following advantages:
- Extremely accessible and convenient insurance coverage simply by being an SM Advantage member.
- The opportunity to have an insurance coverage at a very low price, without any cash outlay. If the member would try to acquire an individual Personal Accident Insurance outside this program, it would cost approximately P500. With this specially-arranged program with Philam Insurance, our members have access to a substantial amount of insurance for only 20 points (equivalent to P20.00).
- How are members informed about the insurance program?
Together with Philam Insurance, we consistently inform our members about this privilege through flyers and full page advertisements in the most prominent daily broadsheets such as Philippine Daily Inquirer, Manila Bulletin and Philippine Star in compliance with the terms and conditions of the Loyalty Program. This advertising campaign actually started two weeks before the launch of the insurance program in 2006. Moreover, we continuously explore program enhancements and have lined up activities to raise the awareness of our members about this program, most recent of which are the SMS and e-mail blasts sent to members.
We have also inform our members through newspaper articles of actual claim cases where Philam Insurance paid out the insurance proceeds of more than P100,000 to the beneficiaries of insured SM Advantage members who were deducted a mere 20 points.
This is a genuine, and not to mention expensive effort on our part and that of our partner, Philam Insurance, to efficiently disseminate information and to ensure that all legitimate and admissible claims under the insurance program are paid to the rightful beneficiaries at all times.
- Don't the members need to sign an agreement regarding this program prior to its implementation?
When customers sign up for membership in the SM Advantage Loyalty program, they effectively agree to its Terms and Conditions.
Section V of the Terms and Conditions of the SM Advantage Program states that:
- The Terms and Conditions and Guidelines cannot be superseded or changed except by MCI. MCI shall use all reasonable endeavors to provide Members with accurate and timely information regarding the SM Advantage Program including any changes thereof; however, MCI and its Partners shall not be liable in any way for failure to do so.
- MCI is not liable for any Award or Privilege not being available or being withdrawn for any reason whatsoever by any SM Advantage Partner.
- MCI reserves the right at all times, without notice and in its sole discretion:
- To make any changes whatsoever to these Terms and Conditions including the rules and guidelines in the Member's Manual.
- To withdraw, cancel, withhold, substitute, deny access to or use of in any way change any of the Awards and Privileges previously advertised or offered, to any Member, at any time, without prior notice, MCI will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by the Member resulting from such withdrawal, cancellation, variation or change.
- To terminate or materially alter the SM Advantage Program and/or revoke the membership of any Member and/or the right of any Member to use the Membership Card or to utilize any Award or Privilege.
- If you're an SM Advantage member, are you automatically enrolled into the insurance program?
Enrollment into the insurance program is done every 15th of the month for qualified members. To qualify, a member must:
- have a balance of at least 70 points at the time of enrollment.
- be between 18 to 70 years old.
Upon enrollment, 20 points are debited from the member's points balance as one-time payment for his/her P100,000 accident insurance coverage for one year.
- How does an enrolled member get his/her insurance certificate?
Since this is a group insurance coverage, Philam Insurance issued us a Group Master Policy to cover all qualified members of SM Advantage. There is no need to issue individual certificates. If an individual member wants proof of cover, an insurance certificate can be requested from Philam Insurance by calling the Philam hotline at 528-5202.
- How does he/she claim from the insurance company?
Just like with any other personal insurance, the insured member or his/her beneficiary can call the Philam hotline and he/she will be guided on how to claim. Claim documents will of course be required.
- Who determines the beneficiaries of the policy in case of accidental death?
The law specifies that the benefits shall go in full to the first group of the following:
- Spouse, if none
- Child/ren, if none
- Parents, if none
- Siblings, if none
- Administrator of your estate
- If the member meets an accident before he/she learns about the insurance program, and if the policy expires before the member is informed that he/she is covered, can the member still claim from the insurance company?
Whether the cardholder was informed of the insurance coverage before or after he/she met an accident is immaterial in determining the validity of a claim. What is important is that the accident or the loss occurred during the time that the member's insurance cover was active. This means that a claim can still be made even after the coverage has lapsed so long as the accident or the loss happened within the coverage period.
- If the member does not want the insurance coverage, is there an easy way to opt out of the program?
Yes, there are many ways by which the member can opt out of the insurance program, all of which are indicated in our newspaper advertisements and can be explained by the Philam hotline:
In addition to these, members who do not wish to be included in the program can now opt out by sending an e-mail to email@example.com, and soon via the SM Advantage website at www.sm-advantage.com. No matter how the member chooses to opt out of the program, his/her 20 points will be credited back to his/her SM Advantage account within five days.
We accept opt-outs at any time before or during the member's 12-month coverage period.
- SMS - Register first by sending SMAC REG <16 digit SMAC#> <4 digit pin> to 2213. Text: SMAC INSURANCE OUT to 2213 [P2.50/text]
- Philam Hotline - Call 528-5202
- Fax - Cut out Opt-out Form from the ad, fill out and fax to 833-8888.
- Customer Service Counters - Fill out Opt-out Form and submit to the Customer Service Counter of any SM Department Store branch.
- How can members who opted out check if their points were returned?
Members can request for points balance inquiry at any cashier counter of SM Department Store, SM Supermarket, SM Hypermarket, or any of the other SM stores where the SM Advantage Card is accepted for points earning. However, the cashier will only be able to give your total points balance, so you will need to know your balance before you opted out of the insurance program. For a more accurate accounting of your points, you may log on and register at www.sm-advantage.com. There, you will be able to view your transaction log (points earning and redemption, including insurance reversal) as far back as January 2006.